Jan 29, 2013

Nexus 7: "Type password to decrypt storage" after completely discharged


After not using the Nexus 7 for some weeks, i got the following screen:
No password worked... Switch off/on... same screen again.
How to get out of this loop?
  1. Switch the device off (press and hold power button)
  2. Press and hold all three buttons. You will see the following:
  3. Use the volume buttons to navigate to Recover Mode
  4. Press the power button the confirm
    Now you will see the Android with a red triangle
  5. Now while holding the power button, press volume up
  6. Use the volume keys to navigate to wipe data/factory reset
  7. Press power button to select this option
  8. Go to Yes, erase all user data and press power button
And the "Type password to decrypt storage"-screen is gone... (and all data, too ;-)
[The official documentation can be found here.]

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I followed your instructions and was able to delete all the data on the tablet, however upon reboot I still get the same message.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, I did fix it, thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had same problem. solved so:
    http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/how-to-install-the-lollipop-ota-on-your-nexus-device-download-links-included/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot get my tablet in the reset mode. I have tried many combinations of buttons I have found on various sites for my model.

    ReplyDelete